Quotes about fashion are meant to be inspiring.
I’m a fan of anything that encourages people to show their individuality. I am not a fan the snobbishness that is so often the undercurrent of what’s being said in fashion publications.
This is nothing new. Mainstream fashion media feeds off this attitude, probably because it works.
The fear of not looking “right,” fitting in, or being in-the-know can push just about anyone who’s having a less-than-stellar day to buy more clothing. It’s a trap that’s too easy to fall into, especially if you’ve recently lost or gained weight, had a baby, or are in any sort of transitional phase in life. The temptation to buy more in an attempt to reinvent yourself gets exploited by brands on the regular.
But making people feel self-conscious is not what fashion and style are about for me.
Instead, I went on the hunt for 10 quotes about fashion that aren’t focused on exclusivity, snobbery, or intimidation. I was looking for inspiration, enjoyment, and authenticity instead.
To me this means staying away from fashion quotes like this one from Vogue editor-in-chief and subject of “The Devil Wears Prada,” Anna Wintour, “You either know fashion or you don’t.”
That’s just a sad way to approach something that could otherwise be joyful. What’s the fun in “knowing” when you could be learning? So, enjoy these positive quotes about fashion and let me know if you have any to add!
10 Quotes About Fashion That Don’t Suck
- “I always find beauty in things that are odd and imperfect. They are much more interesting.” Marc Jacobs, fashion designer
- “I want people to see the dress but focus on the woman.” –Vera Wang, American fashion designer
- “A wise friend once told me, ‘Don’t wear what fashion designers tell you to wear. Wear what they wear.’” – Tina Fey, American actress, comedian, writer, and producer
- “Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.” – Coco Chanel, French fashion designer and businesswoman; She was the founder and namesake of the Chanel brand.
- “Isn’t elegance forgetting what one is wearing?” – Yves Saint Laurent, French fashion designer
- “Always dress like you’re going to see your worst enemy.” – Kimora Lee Simmons, American fashion model and designer
- “Don’t be into trends. Don’t make fashion own you, but you decide what you are, what you want to express by the way you dress and the way you live.” – Gianni Versace, Italian fashion designer and founder of Versace
- “Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.” – Oscar Wilde, Irish writer who wrote plays, fiction, essays and poetry
- “I’m just trying to change the world, one sequin at a time.” – Lady Gaga, American singer, songwriter, and actress
- “It would be mortifying to the feelings of many ladies, could they be made to understand how little the heart of a man is affected by what is costly or new in their attire… Woman is fine for her own satisfaction alone. No man will admire her the more, no woman will like her the better for it. Neatness and fashion are enough for the former, and a something of shabbiness or impropriety will be most endearing to the latter.” – Jane Austen, English novelist, in “Northanger Abbey”